The Gardens

The historic gardens of Lismore Castle are essentially two distinct gardens. Both are set within the castle walls and comprise of 7 acres with spectacular views of the Castle and surrounding countryside.

The lower garden was mostly created in the 19th century for the 6th Duke of Devonshire, Sir Joseph Paxton’s patron. Meandering paths lead you through this informal setting of trees and shrubs and out onto open lawns. The stately yew avenue in the heart of the garden is much older than the garden itself. From the spring flowering magnolias and rhododendrons through to the later flowering shrubs and borders there is always something in bloom.

Entry to the upper garden is through the Riding House. This walled garden was first constructed by Richard Boyle, the 1st Earl of Cork in about 1605, where most of the walls and terraces remain the same although the plantings have changed to suit the tastes of those living within the Castle. The garden is a mix of ornamental borders and productive areas, with vegetables, herbs, fruit and flowers grown for the kitchen and house.

Throughout the garden certain plants of interest are identified with numbers with corresponding information in our garden leaflet. Since 1999 several pieces of contemporary sculpture have been installed in the gardens, including works by Antony Gormley and Eilis O’Connell.

Opening Hours

Lismore Castle Arts
Monday to Sunday
10:30am – 5:30pm
March – October

St Carthage Hall
Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays
12pm – 5pm
During exhibitions

View on Google Map Arrow Icon

Search